The Three Things New Homeowners Should Know about their Home’s Roof
As a new or soon-to-be homeowner, you will have some responsibilities for maintaining and protecting your new home and investment. These include aesthetic maintenance tasks, such as landscaping and periodic painting, and other tasks, such as HVAC maintenance that affect your overall living quality and your home’s value. However, there is one aspect of your home that stands (or sits) above the rest — your home’s roof. Heights Roofing in Greenville, South Carolina is happy to offer a few tips about roofs for new homeowners.
Know Your Roofing System
When you upkeep and perform necessary maintenance on your roofing system, you are maintaining and protecting everything and everyone that comes inside your building or home. Additionally, keeping your roofing system in tip top form assists you in enjoying better indoor comfort and lowers your utility bill. So, get to know your home or building’s roofing system:
The Outside Layer: The roof of a structure is the outer layer, which gives your home curb appeal and is the first line of defense against the weather elements. It is important to be on the lookout for roof shingles or tiles that show signs of wear — particularly after storms.
- Decking: The shingles or tiles of your home or building are attached to a foundation made of plywood; at times the attachment comes undone and repair is needed.
- Timber: Your roof’s frame is made in large part out of wood (timber).
- Eaves: The eaves are the part of your roof that goes beyond the exterior walls of your home/building.
- Fascia: This is the name of the board that is attached to the end of the eaves.
- Gutters: Gutters are fastened to the fascia.
- Attic space: Good attic ventilation is critical to a healthy roof, so this space is considered part of your roofing system and must be included in any reviews of the healthiness of your roof. It should be well ventilated, air sealed, and insulated.
Regular Roof Inspections
All new homeowners should make a list of professional home service providers — HVAC, plumbers, electricians and your trusted roofer (also known as Heights Roofing located right here in Greenville, South Carolina). You will need to call your roofing professional for scheduled roof inspections and preventive maintenance care at least once a year (though in some cases semi-annual inspections are recommended), following strong storms, and at the first signs of potential roof problems.
To get the best roof inspection and maintenance service, reach out to Heights Roofing. Our elite team of roofing experts is ready to help you get your home or building to its fullest potential!